Orientation: Glass Cutter and Lapidary Grinder
Learn how to safely cut, shape, and polish glass on our glass cutter and lapidary grinder. While practicing on glass bottles, you'll gain foundational skills for working with glass for future projects like recycled bottle planters, candle holder, or other decorative home or garden projects.
- Beginners, no glass work experience required but comfort with saws and grinders strongly recommended
- Safety protocol for working with wet glass
- Glass cutter and flat lapidary grinder setup
How to cut, shape, and polish glass
- Glass cutter and flat lapidary grinder
(Idea Foundry workshop members who have taken this class are cleared for independent use of these tools in the shop. Learn more about membership here.)
Pairs Well With
Continue your glass working journey with Stained Glass.
Plan Your Visit
- Please bring up to 3 bottles, washed thoroughly, with labels removed. Wine bottles are the most forgiving for beginners. Please do not bring "irreplaceable" or otherwise special glass containers--as beginners will likely break glass while learning. Note, you will not have time in this class to finish grinding to a level suitable for use a drinking vessel.
- Clothing and shoes will get both wet and dirty, Please wear closed-toe shoes and clothing that you do not mind getting wet. Long hair must be tied back. Do not wear any rings during the class. You will be putting on provided protective gear, so wearing layers is recommended.
- Plan to arrive for class about 10-15 min early and check in at the front desk. Our main entrance is on State Street, with parking lot entrance on State St. as well. IF parking and street parking available.
Idea Foundry Member - $65
Non Member - $75