Intro to Wood Carving II, Moving Parts, Captive Ring
Apprehensive about trying those old “whittlin' tricks"? Don't be! In this class, students will learn to carve a free-moving captive ring from a single block of wood. You'll practice a variety of carving skills that can be applied across a wide variety of carving projects. Most students at least get their ring freed, and begin refining during the class session. More experienced carvers may also begin additional decoration.
- carvers with beginner to some experience
- practice basic carving techniques and principles
- safety & sharpening
- planning & design traditions, and more skills that can be applied across a wide variety of carving projects.
- 8mm #5 gouge and 8mm skew chisel
- No IF tools are certified in this class
Pairs Well With
For another great carving project, try Decorative Wood Chip Carving.
Plan Your Visit
- Tools, reference material, and wood blanks will be provided. Feel free to bring your own comparable tools and cut-resistant glove if preferred, otherwise will be provided.
- Note – this one day class can be rather arduous for many beginning carvers, so it includes a one hour break.
- Students are required to wear closed-toe shoes in workshop areas, and sturdy footwear (e.g. tennis shoes or boots) is recommended.
- Plan to arrive for class about 10-15 min early and check in at the front desk. Our main entrance is on State Street, with parking lot entrance on State St. as well. IF parking and street parking available.
Idea Foundry member - $80
Non Member - $90